Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Forgive and Forget

Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven."  (Matthew 18:21, 22) 

The blood Jesus shed offers us forgiveness and the limitless capacity to forgive others -- and then to forget. That is because all our sins are first and foremost an affront to God, and He responds with forgiveness. Therefore, we are able to forgive, because we are like our Father. We should no longer be trapped in a victim mentality, because we have been given a forgiving heart and the ministry of reconciliation. Now we can pray for our enemies and those who sin against us! We too can say, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." (Luke 23:34)

 

The Lord desires that we be more and more willing to forgive others. He is willing to forgive and forget, and He expects the same of us. In fact, He will only remember our sins if we remember the sins of others. How petty we are, quick to ask for forgiveness and restoration, and slow to forgive and restore those who sin against us! While it is never easy, God gives us the power to do what we could never do otherwise. His love and forgiveness never run out, and He never grows weary of hearing our sincere confession and forgiving our trespasses. We are called to be like Him and do for others what He does for us -- forgive and forget. Father, help us!

 

Let's Pray - Lord, I will never forget the price You paid to forgive my sins. I will show my appreciation by forgiving those who have sinned against me, like I have been forgiven of the sins I committed against You. Thank You for my Savior Who forgives me, and Your Spirit Who keeps me. Amen.

 

1 comment: