Saturday, February 22, 2020

Watch Your Mouth

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. (Psalm 141:3)

The tongue possesses tremendous power; so much so, that we are much more liable to transgress with our speech than our actions. James instructs us, “. . . let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.” (James 1:19) Rash speech in a saint is an indication of an undisciplined spirit, and the Lord calls us to a place of greater understanding regarding our words. He is looking for those He can trust to speak with wisdom and grace, and He is looking for that wisdom and grace in you!

James 3:8 says, But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therefore, it is a futile exercise for a saint to try to control his speech. Our speech is not simply a matter of words, or it would be easy to alter the things we say. No, our speech is a matter of the heart, and it clearly reveals our heart's condition; "For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." (Matthew 12:34) The work we do to guard our speech is that of purifying our hearts, and that can only be done by the Holy Spirit. If we submit ourselves to God, He will cleanse us and give us the power to speak kindly and truthfully -- and He will receive glory from our every conversation. The question is not one of speech, but of submission. The heart submitted to God speaks well. May the Lord give us deeper understanding in this truth.

Let’s pray – Heavenly Father, with Your help, I will be diligent to watch over my conversations, and to avoid injurious, callous, and careless speech at all times. I desire to be used to share the Good News of Jesus. Therefore, I have reserved my tongue for Your use. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen and Yes Sir Pastor. Father fill me...fill me up with more of your Holy Spirit so my heart produce from my lips (at all times) life. Thank you oh Lord for your patience with me. And may I do the same for others.

    ReplyDelete