Friday, April 16, 2021

Separate Unto God

But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the Lord, God Most High, the Possessor of heaven and earth, that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abram rich . . .' " (Genesis 18:22-24)

Though the king of Sodom appeared to be making a gracious offer, Abram rightly discerned his motives; and by refusing the riches he offered, he avoided any future association or obligation to him. Those ties would have surely become a point of grief to Abram, and once again, he wisely kept himself separate and unencumbered, so the Lord might have His way with him and bless him as He promised. May the same be true of us; separated unto God, and God alone.

 

God does not need help from anyone or any group of people to keep His promises to us. There is no need to curry favor or seek approval from men and women, nor do we have to meet the qualifications the world requires. The Lord sovereignly chose Abram, and earthly riches did not compare to the blessings laid up for him in Christ. The Lord has sovereignly chosen us, and He desires we live unfettered and uncomplicated lives that are free from relationships, attachments, and commitments that limit us spiritually. That is the choice that Abram made, to have faith in God alone; and we are his children, because we walk by that same type of faith. May all our streams be found in the Lord, and may we joyfully receive all God's promises to us in Jesus Christ.

 

Let's Pray – Father, I choose to find my satisfaction in You and You alone. May I resist every temptation to give in to worldliness and compromise. All my hope is in You. Amen.

 

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Keep me free Lord from the snares of bondages that are like a noose around my neck because I once did not trust you. Keep me free from being ensnared again. I choose to trust you. And want to do so even moreso. Thanking Him for lessons learned the hard way. Glory to God for His love and mercy and longsuffering towards me.

    ReplyDelete