Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Our Continual Calling

There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, "Get justice for me from my adversary." And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, "Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me."  
(Luke 18:2-6)

You’ve heard the old saying, “The squeaky wheel gets the oil.” You may not, though, have understood the saying as a foundational principle of prayer. The path to the presence of God leads to the closet of prayer, and diligence is the virtue that stimulates the release of every good and perfect gift from on high. Understand, God is not looking for beggars, as much as He is desiring a relationship and communion with us. The fact that we humble ourselves and ask pleases our Father – and while He blesses us whether we ask or not (because He is good), He gives His Spirit to those who pray and wait on Him; and oh, how we need His Spirit!

There is not a Christian in the world who does not desire to pray more and to spend more time in the Word -- yet, that desire too often goes unfulfilled. Wanting to do what is right and doing it are two entirely different things. It is our flesh (it's all about me) that resists the Spirit and keeps us from prayer, and we do well to remember our Lord's words, "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. (John 6:63) If the unjust judge moves on the widow's behalf because she was persistent, won't our loving Father come to our rescue and answer our prayers, if we do not lose hope? If we pray?

Let's Pray - Precious Lord, teach me to pray on a more consistent and persistent level than ever before. I believe if I ask, seek, and knock, then I will receive, find, and the door will be opened for me. Thank You, Jesus.

1 comment: