Sunday, May 8, 2022

Sanctify My Speech

But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. (James 3:8-10)

James says, "no man can tame the tongue," but every man can humble himself in the sight of the Lord and hide the Word in his heart — “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Matthew 12:34). Each disciple will fight the battle to tame the tongue, and we will win that battle when Christ is perfected in our hearts through regeneration and spiritual discipline. The Lord's words are spirit and life, and ours should be, too. So, be encouraged, because Jesus will sanctify our speech as He purifies our hearts.

If we speak our own words, they will be laced with self and sin, no matter how hard we try. Our hearts will betray us sooner or later, and our speech will reflect those areas we have not surrendered to God. So, the Spirit desires we lay our lives before Him, that He might touch us in places yet untouched, and sanctify us completely. Then, we are free to speak words that are spiritual, pure, refreshing, and "seasoned with salt." Only the Holy Spirit can accomplish this in us. So, stop trying to tame your tongue, and give God your heart.

Let’s Pray – Father, it is out of a pure heart I pray. Sanctify my speech, and may my words reflect my closeness with You. I want my speech to be a blessing today. Help me, Lord. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment