Monday, October 26, 2020

Our Own Devices

Now Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do." Then Samuel said: "Why then do you ask me, seeing the LORD has departed from you and has become your enemy?" (1 Samuel 28:15-16)

Saul could no longer go to God in prayer. After years of refusing to walk uprightly, the Lord had withdrawn from him, and he was left to his own devices and the consequences of his sin. Saul took drastic measures to save himself, but he would not be able to cover the tracks of decades of recklessness and pride. He saw the end coming, and he could not do anything to stop it, because God refused the repentance he sought, though he sought it with tears. How sad!

Note how many Christians are like Saul – hiding behind the thin veil of status or religion, yet far from the Lord and devoid of the Spirit of grace. Beloveds, we are still enjoying a time when the hand of God is being extended to us, so let us humble ourselves in His sight and receive the wisdom He offers in His Word. Do not be fooled into the malaise that defines so many, and let us take heed to God’s encouragement in Hebrews 2:1; Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. Let us not be like Saul, who drifted away and never found the way back.

Let's Pray - Dear Lord, may we heed Your warnings and receive Your wisdom while it is available to us. May we not be like Saul and Esau, who lived recklessly and tempted God. Help us, Father. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment