Tuesday, October 20, 2020

I Must Endure

". . . though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things He suffered." (Hebrews 5:8)

It never dawned on me that Jesus had things to learn. I always assumed that because He was God, He knew everything there was to know. Yet the scriptures teach He emptied Himself of the privileges and prerogatives of His deity, and became like us in every way, yet without sin (Philippians 2:5-11). Jesus humbled Himself to the lowly status of a child, student, and servant – and the method the Father used to train and mature Him included suffering. Only then was He able to receive the mantle of High Priest, which was the Father’s purpose for Him.

I point these things out so we might realize the marvelous hand of God in our lives, even in things that hurt and things we don’t like or understand. When we begin to view our sufferings in light the eternal weight of glory God has for us, we are able to endure them with a joy that blesses God and confounds the world. Most importantly, we give pleasure and glory to the Lord when we trust Him with our lives through every season and circumstance. So, smile – the more stress and difficulty, the more pleased the Father is to help us, and the more it makes us like Jesus!

Let's Pray - Lord, if Jesus suffered for me, I must be willing to do the same for Him. Help me to press on when I am weary and perplexed. There is a greater weight of glory stored up for me when I endure. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Man did I need to hear this right this moment. Thank you Pastor... I am so grateful to be Shepherd by you, your wisdom, and your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete