Thursday, October 22, 2020

A Godly Life

Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. (Romans 12:17-18)

The only Teacher is Jesus Christ, and His life is made real to and in us only by the Holy Spirit. No amount of well-intentioned striving will ever achieve the goal of wholeness, holiness, and health in Him -- we must be filled with the Holy Spirit. This truth is central to our understanding and appropriating this instruction, as it is with all the scriptures. Yet, this truth is the stumbling block that frustrates so many -- that is, we have no chance of doing what the Bible instructs until we surrender and exchange our strength, receiving God's strength in return. Only then does this passage become instruction we can successfully obey -- and obey it we must.

It is not good enough to be good citizens of earth, but we must first be good citizens of heaven. God's standards are nothing like the world's, and there is no possibility of reaching them by striving to be good Christians -- we must die to ourselves and let Him live His life through us. For instance, it will not be possible for me to live peacefully with all men and women in my own strength, no matter how hard I try. But if I learn to see the difficult person or situation as an opportunity to share the love of Christ, I will succeed every time. It doesn't matter whether or not my love is appreciated; what matters is Christ revealed in my words and deeds, and God will handle the rest. That is the path to peace the Lord has laid out before His children. Let's walk that path before Him.

Let's Pray - Dear Father, give me Your Spirit so I am able to do all You instruct. I realize I cannot do anything worthy on my own. I surrender all to You, right now! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment