Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Love and Revenge

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21)

No other power can compete with love, so it never has to get even. Love will never allow us to act in kind with those who wrong us, or the world, or those who don't know the Lord. Our example is Jesus, and He never avenged Himself, vindicated Himself, or felt the necessity of explaining Himself. His love spoke for Him, and He ever lives as the Lover and Savior of all men. Remember, love is the best revenge. 

“But I say to you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you . . . (Luke 6:27)

These are among the most powerful words ever spoken, and we must be careful not to miss what is most important. The central point is not, "Love your enemies . . ." The most important words here are, "But I say to you . . ."  The fact that Jesus is the One speaking is what matters most, and His commands are only possible to obey in His strength. We cannot love our enemies on our own, even if we desire to do so. But when we begin to see things as Jesus reveals them, even impossible things become possible. Everything around us changes when we make the decision to follow Him, and He gives us the Holy Spirit, so we can actually do what He commands. Our lives are a sweet fragrance to Christ when we learn to see and pray for others like He does -- even our enemies. Help us, Lord!

Let's Pray Father God, teach me to love others regardless of how I am treated. Then I will know that the love of God truly dwells in me. In Jesus I pray, Amen.

3 comments:

  1. YES LORD!!!! YES!!! Only by your Holy Spirit is it possible. I see You Jesus...your grace and mercy. AMEN!!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!
    Thank you for abiding in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, sir. I hear that if I go to Jesus only when I am faced with an enemy it is too late for love. But if I have a relationship with Him, walking with Him and hearing Him daily, then I will be prepared to endure, overcome, and love when the opportunity comes. The condition of our hearts will tell on us. We must get to Jesus now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He did...so He gives me the strength by His power..

    ReplyDelete