Friday, July 26, 2019

Cover Your Mouth

Then Job answered the Lord and said:
“Behold, I am vile;
What shall I answer You?
I lay my hand over my mouth.
Once I have spoken, but I will not answer;
Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further.” (Job 40:3-5)

We must be careful not to speak hastily about the things of God, because those things are spiritually discerned, and God may be working on a level we have not considered. Each of us, if we are to go on with the Lord, is going to have to lay our hand on our mouth like Job did, and not speak until the Spirit gives utterance. When Job saw God, he realized his error. He had reduced the Lord to a god of his own understanding, and that is no God at all! Like Job, we must come to see God as He is, not how we imagine Him. When we do, He calls us friends, and then He can trust us with His Word and witness.

When Job finally saw the Lord, all his complaints and self-justification melted away in the presence of the awesome Lord of All. And when the Lord spoke to Job, He did not offer an explanation, an apology, or any other words of clarification, except, "I AM!" Right then, Job realized the Lord is sovereign and holy, and He has the right to do whatever He desires, even when it means untold pain and suffering. He is God, and He will make all things work together for good for those He calls and loves. Job could never have seen God this clearly apart from what he had gone through; and, as a reward, he received peace beyond understanding, two times the blessings he had before, and a testimony second to none. What an awesome God we serve!

Let's Pray
 - Lord, please help me to look to You and trust in Your sovereignty in every situation, especially in times of difficulty and testing. All my answers are in Jesus Christ. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Amen. Leaning not to my understanding. I shall endeavor...remembering to put a hand over my mouth.

    ReplyDelete