Monday, July 1, 2019

Having These Promises

Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. (2 Corinthians 7:1)

There are those who preach that Jesus is somehow sympathetic with our struggles against self and sin. I've even heard those struggles called a "beautiful mess!" Nothing could be more foolish! Our "mess" is not attractive or beautiful to God, and we only need to look to the tragedy of Calvary to see what God thinks of our "mess." Jesus dealt with sin ruthlessly on the Cross, where He set us free from the law of sin and death. Therefore, we must never tell the Lord that He is not able to sanctify us and make us holy, or we are too broken and helpless for Him to perfect us. If He is not able to do that, He is not God. But He is God, and God Almighty. He has sanctified us wholly; and, now, we must put the mess of selfishness and sin to death in our members. That is the supreme effort we put forth daily -- to glorify God, and prove He is more than able to do what He promised.

If the Lord has challenged you with difficulty, it is because He loves you. He wants you to learn to be satisfied in Jesus alone, looking only to Him. He is freeing you from all dependence on man's company and approval, as you learn to be His disciple. Now you understand what Paul is after with his instruction to "cleanse ourselves." God wants complete and unfettered access to you. Remember, you have His promises, and you belong to Him.

Let's Pray - Father, it is imperative that I make my life completely open and available to You. Therein is my joy and health. I love You. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. God is able. I look to Him while I stay steadfast where HE HAS PLACED ME. Waiting on Him; feeding off the history of His Faithfulness towards me. I am available to Him...to complete in me the "New Thing" as I put away and put off the old former darkness I once lived in. I give myself away....over and over and over again for Him to do as He pleases and chooses. I am grateful to God Almighty for His great love towards me.

    ReplyDelete