Thursday, June 23, 2022

Help Me Believe

And their words seemed to them like idle tales, and they did not believe them. But Peter arose and ran to the tomb; and stooping down, he saw the linen cloths lying by themselves; and he departed, marveling to himself at what had happened. (Luke 24:11-12)

Jesus never speaks idle words. The apostles did not believe, because they did not yet realize that every word He spoke to them was eternal truth, and nothing was spoken lightly or carelessly. If they had understood this, they would not have been surprised that He rose from the dead, because He told them He would. What was it that made the disciples unable to hear the truth spoken to them for three and a half years? Likewise, what is it that keeps me deaf, blind, and afraid to take the Lord at His word? Why am I so often stressed when the Lord has promised me peace? Why am I so easily ensnared by sin when the Savior has put sin to death on the cross? Why am I so slow to believe? Help me, Lord!

 

Believing God is simple, and that is where we so often fail. When we are simple enough to keep our eyes on Jesus, we are capable of walking on water; but the moment we look away, we begin to sink in doubt and sin. The lilies of the field, birds of the air, and fish of the sea never fret or worry — yet they have all their needs met. Oh, that we were that childlike and simple! Only the saint who is childlike enough to trust God finds the perfect peace He promises. May the Lord help us and give us the Mind of Christ and a heart that simply believes Him. 


Let's Pray
 - Father, I believe - help my unbelief! May I receive every word of Jesus as spirit and life, and may that word be my daily bread. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen
    Daily may I trust and learn to believe His every Word.

    ReplyDelete