Friday, June 10, 2022

Adding to My Faith

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith . . . (2 Peter 1:5) 

Now, of course, we cannot add anything to the work accomplished by our Savior, Jesus Christ. He lived a life of service and sacrifice, He was tempted in all respects without sinning, He shed His sinless blood for our sins, He rose victoriously from the grave, and He ascended on high to His rightful place with the Father. When Peter says, "add to your faith," he is speaking of the spiritual maturity that is "added" to us when we walk by faith in God. If we give the Holy Spirit our attention, He will begin to progressively display the sweetness and holiness of Jesus Christ through us; and that is the unmistakable sign of a living, growing, and productive faith.

 

We cannot claim to have true faith apart from Christlikeness. Living faith must be followed closely by Christian character. Character is the virtue developed in us when we learn to apply the Word of God to our lives and circumstances one opportunity at a time. We obtain true Christian character through a growing willingness to measure our works, our speech, and our motives by the standard of the scriptures; and the Spirit will educate and perfect us down to the smallest detail. As He does, the measure of Christ in us increases to the point of identification — "For to me, to live is Christ . . ." (Philippians 1:21) Remember, only Jesus Christ pleases the Father, so let the measure of Christ increase in you daily. Add to your faith.

 

Let's Pray - Lord, I desire to possess an ever-growing belief in the Son of God and His sovereign work in my life. I will apply myself to the work You set before me diligently and thoughtfully. In Jesus alone, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Father honor this prayer in my heart today...thru out my day. I CAN DO NOTHING WITHOUT YOU....nothing.!!!!!

    ReplyDelete