Friday, December 31, 2021

Deep Devotion in Dark Times

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the LORD
In the land of the living.
Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD! 
(Psalms 27:13-14)

These words were spoken by a man who knew what it was like to be put into hopeless situations. David experienced great hardships, difficult seasons, deep disappointments, personal attacks, and unfair treatment. Yet, without question he was God's man, anointed and chosen, a warrior and commander, a prophet and psalmist, a man after God's own heart. We might think he would be protected from the things he suffered because he was God's chosen, but he was exposed all the more. Sometimes it's hard to see what God is after in what He allows, and it was hard for David —very hard. But our Lord is always taking us higher, and the Good Shepherd is leading, even through the valley of the shadow. The only question is, will we take His hand and follow where He leads?

 

I would have lost heart, unless I had believed . . .

 

Faith! It is impossible to please God without it. Great faith pleases God greatly, while small and underdeveloped faith grieves the Holy Spirit. The only way for our faith to increase is for God to allow circumstances that challenge us, where our devotion is tested and our hearts purified. Those dark and dire moments are where faith thrives, where our light shines, and where we learn to wait on the Lord and trust in His Word. All things are possible then, because God is there, and we are there with Him by faith. 

 

May we meet every challenge with a determination to glorify Jesus in all we say and do, especially when it is hard. He is trusting us with the uncertainty of the present, just to see if we will look to Him, believe in Him, rely on Him, and wait on Him. I will not lose heart, and I believe I will see His goodness while I live. I believe I'll see His goodness in you. 


Let's Pray - Precious Lord, I am learning to trust You in every circumstance, just as my fathers in the faith did. Thank You for keeping Your promise to never leave or forsake me. I trust You with all my heart, and I will praise You with all my might. In Jesus alone, Amen.

 



1 comment:

  1. AMEN!!!! Man ole Man, I am so glad that God see's all and everything. Whew!!!! Anyway today this Word for me personally is very encouraging as well as very endearing. I am just thank that HE HOLDS ME CLOSE when I get tired. Oh what a loving Father is HE. This is a very timely Word for me to finish out this year....finishing strong ...of course all because of HIM.

    ReplyDelete