Thursday, May 27, 2021

Pray and Forgive

“And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.” (Mark 11:25-26)

To be sure, there will be many offenses, slights, hurts, and attacks that are sent our way by the enemy of our souls. These are meant to plant a seed of bitterness and mistrust in our hearts which causes us to withhold love, and we can become cold to others without even realizing it. But God trusts us with these trials to give us the opportunity to forgive and love others, just as He has done for us. When we pass the test of loving those who hurt us, we are perfected in His love, and we are the light of the world we're called to be.

 

If I am honest, I have no desire or intention to forgive those who have hurt me; and even if I try, I simply do not find the power to do so. My resentment and distrust are real and justified in my mind. Every time particular people or experiences are even mentioned, I find my thoughts awash in ill-will and anger. Jesus knows and understands those fears and feelings; however, He has come to help me embrace a new, Kingdom-grounded reality. He died in my place and paid my sin-debt. By His blood, I have been washed clean and set apart for the Father's use and pleasure. Since He has removed me from the power and penalty of sin, I must be willing to do the same for others and release them (and myself) from the prison of condemnation, just as I have been released. Apart from Jesus, this is impossible; but with God, all things are possible — even forgiving those who hurt me. May we all forgive and move forward. Our freedom awaits. 

 

Let's Pray - Lord, help me forgive others, just as You have forgiven me. I release everyone who has ever offended me from the prison of my bitterness. Thank You for my new-found freedom. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is difficult sometimes. I need to examine my heart for these things hidden in there. Thanks for the reminderđź’™

    ReplyDelete