Saturday, November 23, 2019

I Encourage Myself

Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the Lord his God. (1 Samuel 30:6)

David’s example in this passage is a tremendous testimony to the heart of a worshiper who is fully engaged with the Lord through prayer and obedience. David's response to the catastrophic events he faced was not natural, but supernatural – an outgrowth of a daily life of devotion. When he might have resorted to self-defense, depression, despondency, deflecting, accusing, and sulking, he teaches us to go to the secret place and seek the mind of Christ. When others were demanding immediate action, David waited and prayed. When he could have sought man’s advice, David inquired of the Lord. The relationship with God he had cultivated in his daily life became his salvation in the crisis, and so must it be with us all.

That which is inside us comes out when we are pressed. If we are filled with the Spirit of God, we will respond with prayer, intercession, and wisdom in difficult times. If we are filled with fleshly and worldly motives, our response will be selfish and cowardly. If our hearts are pure, so will our speech and behavior be, for Jesus says, “He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” (John 7:38) The Lord would have us be prepared for the days of trial that surely lie ahead; and when everyone around us is distressed, may we, like David, encourage ourselves and those around us in the Lord our God.

Let's Pray - Father, I will seek your face for the strength I need, so that I may respond well in the moment of crisis. Teach me to turn to You and move at the Spirit's direction when I am tested. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet word. I am reminded that He is my ever present help in time of need. No catastrophe is too great for the Lord. He is not just the God of disaster, though, but the God of my everything. From the highest of highest, to the lowest of lows—He is God. Thank you Pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! I am than a little bit thankful for this prayer today. Grateful!!! I desire to be and do as David did when tested....pray and seek the Lord. I want the Father to hear this prayer moreso than some others; because as I draw closer to Him things haven't externally gotten better but rather worst. What I joy in is that I AM BETTER because HIS GRACE IS EVIDENT that I shall not be moved according to my circumstances. His faithfulness is greater than any trial I may encounter. I have been graced to experience HIS JOY instead of being burden with sorrows and distress and things that I have no control over. In fact, I KNOW I AM BLESSED!!! God is with me and He isn't finish with me yet. So, like David....I seek His face. In return I am unstoppable!!! Nothing can hinder me when I stay focused on Him.

    ReplyDelete