Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Come Follow Me

“If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (Matthew 19:21-22)

God's criteria for living well is 180 degrees from ours. We most often judge our success by earthly possession, fame, influence, and comfort. But the Lord judges the heart! The worldly man is possessed by his possessions, and a man filled with the pleasures and bounty of the world has little or no place for a God who asks us to lay down our lives. Jesus saved us that He might help Himself to our bodies, our minds, and our days! So, we must be sure not to crowd Him out with busy schedules and hearts set on self; and let us not frustrate the life of the Spirit with a pre-occupation with worldly pleasures.

We are all rich in one way or another, because we all have been given free will. What will we do when Jesus brings us to the point of decision, like He did for the rich young ruler?  Will we take the road to the left -- the road to my dreams, my hopes, and my way? Or, will we trust the Lord to lead us in paths of righteousness for His name's sake, and will we empty ourselves so that we might be filled with the Holy Spirit? This is life's essential question, my Christian friend -- will you lay down your life? Whose life is this, anyway?

Let's Pray - Dear Father, it is my deepest desire to be found in Jesus, following His every command. May I find value in my relationship to Him and nothing else. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN. Nothing else matters...nothing else will do. Oh Lord may this be more than a song that I sing...but rather my hearts desire.

    ReplyDelete