Friday, October 11, 2019

Believing Without Seeing

Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.” (John 20:24-25)

“Unless I see . . . I will not believe.”
Thomas had eyes, but he could not see, because he would not see. A man may have sight, but spiritually speaking, he will never see until the Lord opens the eyes of his heart. Even then, he must be willing to receive his sight according what God reveals, and He always reveals His Son. Nothing else matters -- not miracles, victories, prosperity, healings, etc. We must see the Lord, for every good thing is found in Him. That is the simplicity and joy of faith -- nothing and no one matters any longer but Jesus.

Yes, the Lord clothes Himself in mystery and invisibility. He has hidden Himself from the learned and the wise, and the most intelligent are overwhelmed at even the prospect of comprehending Him or His ways. That is because He has chosen simplicity and humility over haughtiness and pride. He is meek and lowly, and we must come to Him as children or He will not receive us. Therefore, the world and its obsession with itself and its pleasures will never enjoy the fellowship available to those who simply hear and believe -- those who embrace the profound and indispensable joy of faith. Those are the ones who truly see God. The only ones.

Then He (Jesus) said, ". . . Do not be unbelieving, but believing." And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

Let's Pray - Dear Lord, may I receive the truth in all its glory and simplicity -- in Christ and Him alone. Thank you for revealing the truth in Jesus, and for enabling me to believe it. Amen.

1 comment: