Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Holy Challenge

When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!” For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken; and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.”  So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.  (Luke 5:8-11)

No man understands who he is until he encounters a true man of God. Only when he is confronted by Christ in another can he measure himself against God’s standard of manhood -- “I am a sinful man, O Lord!”  Immediately the decision must be made. “Do I shrink back in fear, or do I answer the call in my spirit to follow Jesus?”

It is God’s will that no one remains the same once they’ve encountered Jesus. Peter would have turned back, "Depart from me…" But the call of God on his life would not let him stay where he was. His fear would have caused him to run from the One he should run to, but Jesus promised him a relationship with God that would make him all he was created to be. It was an irresistible promise to become a real man, and Peter took that challenge. Have you taken God's challenge? Have you decided to follow Jesus? There will never be a more important question, or a more consequential answer.

Let's Pray - Dear Lord, I, like Peter, take the challenge to become a real man. I desire be to all You have ordained for me, and I will walk in the steps You have ordered. Here I am, Lord. Use me. Amen.

1 comment: