Monday, June 29, 2020

Come Follow Me

Now the Lord had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, from your family, and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you." (Genesis 12:1-6)

"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple." (Luke 14:26-27)

Every man God calls to Himself will face the challenge of leaving what he has for what God has for him. In order for the Lord to draw us to Himself, He must draw us away from the familiar, and we have to lay down the life we know and love to receive the life He promises. Abram is a picture of true worship and devotion, which moves beyond words and good intentions and manifests in obedience, especially when it's difficult. God is not asking Abram to leave a bad situation for a good one -- any fool knows to do that! He's asking him to trust and believe Him, to leave all and follow Him, to prefer and prioritize Him, to go to a place without knowing what or where that place is, and to walk by faith and not by sight. "Sell all you have . . . and come follow me." (Luke 18:22)

A crowded life is one God cannot (and will not) use. Those of us who come to Him cannot bring along our schedules and possessions; those things will not fit through the narrow door entered by the few. You will notice that everyone who profoundly affects your life for Christ is one who is "sold out" to Him. That is the one God sends, because he or she will be faithful with the strength He pours into them. The Lord is looking for the one He can trust with souls, and that one is willing to forsake all he has to receive all the Lord would give. Jesus will not share His disciple with anyone or anything else. Are you His disciple? His and His alone?

Let’s Pray – Lord, I will respond when You call, and I will do so without doubting. I have learned that You are trustworthy, and You always lead me in the righteous path. Here I am, Lord, at Your service. Amen.

2 comments:








  1. AMEN. Often I have to give myself back to Jesus....and Him alone. Things become simple when I am NOT in charge of my life; when my life doesn't belong to me but to Him....I remain more focus. God is in control ALWAYS.


    ReplyDelete